Bears are attracted to food sources which have a scent. Generally, it is not bird feeders which attract a bear to a backyard, but other things that have an attractive scent such as: BBQ grills, compost piles, fruit trees and pet food. A bear often stumbles upon a bird feeder while pursuing other food sources. But once a bear has found it, the bear will keep coming back. Here are some tips for deterring bears:
- Never store garbage outside, unless it is in a bear-proof container. Don’t leave garbage or food in a vehicle, even for a short time.
- Burn your BBQ grill clean, wash and store it covered out of the wind – preferably indoors.
- Feed your pets inside and store their food inside.
- Keep your compost clean – never compost animal waste. Sprinkle compost with lime. Lime aids in the composting process and reduces the smell.
- Trees: Remove fruit from trees as it ripens. Do not let fruit rot on the ground below the tree.