Download one of our helpful brochures that you can print and keep for future reference.
People either seem to love squirrels, put up with them, or hate them. Many people complain that the squirrels are eating the birds’ food and destroying the bird feeders. We can suggest squirrel "proof" feeders (feeders that eliminate the squirrels), creating a squirrel "proof" set up (setups that baffle the feeders) or making existing feeders squirrel "proof." In all situations we can help you deal with squirrels and better enjoy the hobby of bird feeding.
To keep squirrels from bothering your existing bird feeder setup, try these tips:
• Draw squirrels away from your bird feeding stations by offering them their own feeding station with their favorite foods: corn, nuts and Wild Birds Unlimited Wildlife Blend.
• Feed the birds but not the squirrels with Wild Birds Unlimited "squirrel-proof" bird feeders like the Eliminator or Fundamentals.
• Keep squirrels away from your bird feeding stations. Squirrels can jump 4 feet to 5 feet vertically and 8 feet to 10 feet between objects. Place a baffle on your feeder pole. Use dome baffles above bird feeders.
• Try an On-Guard wire mesh cage around your existing feeders to keep squirrels from reaching the food. The cages are designed specifically to fit Wild Birds Unlimited seed tube feeders, peanut feeders, suet cages and more.
• Fill your bird feeders with safflower seeds. Many songbirds will eat safflower, but squirrels typically will not.